My Daily Tweets

Followers


I am a greedy person. I just can't get enough of books, and will never stop as long as I can get my hands on it. I knew I should have made a simple review of mine from the heaps of books that I bought since the MV Doulous harboured in KK, to the ones that I looted from Bookxcess months ago. It's just that, I don't know how, where to start. But this particular one, laying invitingly on the dining table caught my attention. I grabbed it, sit and read every pages over my hot tea one by one. Each and every pages makes me don't want to stop and before long, I finished the whole book; now eager to make a review of it to share with you all.


Footprints In The Paddy Field, is a reflection of a family portrait and a childhood memory by Tina Kisil, of life dated back to the 50's and 60's in British North Borneo, now known as Sabah. Days where most Dusun people still live in the bamboo huts; where buffaloes, gongs are known as prized possessions; hardworking young maidens are consider as the sought after ones rather than the pretty, delicate ones by suitors into a family; preserving some of the old Dusun beliefs and customs, animism still lurks in the society even during the Christian missionaries already made their way to live among the Borneo people.

As you read page by page, the writer brings you back to an amazing journey how she lives her life with her siblings and parents during that time like a time machine, carefully detailed on each and everything as far as she could remember. Her thoughts, her feelings and things that she saw through her eyes. Thirty-five years later, she lives with her own family in Kota Kinabalu, dedicated her life to countless numbers of students, so as to appreciate the value of education that she once had limited access on.

I am proud to say, the writer is my own aunt. Her uncle that she mentioned living with in the book is my paternal grandfather, who married to her aunt, her father's sister. By reading this book, I found myself seeing another side of the family that I am not that familiar of, and also a little knowledge of my heritage from my grandmother's side. Perhaps, just perhaps....who knows I would be inspired to write a family memoir on my own someday? =p

Anyway, I am reviewing this book is not because of the writer has a family relation with me. It just this book is a doorway for you out there, who wanted to learn more about how the Dusun people live back then, where photos are only taken in black and white, where a 5 dollar note can mean so much to a big family (now I believe my late father used to tell me how much 10 dollars can buy).

For us, the younger generations to have a glimpse how hard life must be back then, no electricity, gas or tap water...or telephone, internet, everything the luxury that we enjoyed now, and be grateful for the things we have that they don't have during those times.

If you wish to have a copy of this book, please visit to your nearest MPH Bookstore and enjoy the journey that I had. Happy reading!

11 comments:

Yuz Boo-Duc Bha-Eek said...

Owh, I don't read book too much but I do luv the pic of the book of yours ^___^

bubbleberry said...

ui pinjam

AngeL BeaR said...

yuz: I think so too..

bubbleberry: uhuhuhu need to ask my aunty la..dia yg beli ni buku...

smallkucing said...

Oo not from BookXcess la? If from BX i can ask them reserve for me. This one really delicious looking book

AngeL BeaR said...

Small kucing: not sure if Bookxcess got or not...but you can try ask..who knows if got demands they might get some to put on the shelf to grab :-)

Lee said...

Hi Angel Bear, good for you reading books. You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.

May I suggest you read these books....
'Love is a many splendoured thing', by Dr. Han Su Ying based on her life and love. Was made into a movie of same name.

Another book, "A town like Alice'...during the 2nd WW, of the love between a woman and a soldier in Malaya during the Japanese occupation.

Have fun and keep well, Lee.

AngeL BeaR said...

thanks for the suggestion, Lee....will check in our local bookstore if they have it...

Anonymous said...

That's a nice review about the book, and finally you know better the family link. I still remember your dad sometimes, and the naughty and funny things he used to do. You may not remember when we visited him at the hospital one weekend, and how he passed on several days later. My family actually planned to visit again, but, it was not to be.

Aunty Rita

AngeLBeaR said...

thanks for dropping by Aunty Rita. I really love this book, and perhaps...I might inspired to publish one on my lineage?

Anonymous said...

My husband bought the book at KLIA (or may be KL sentral).. not sure. He is reading it now.. with much interest.. and i cant wait for my turn.. will comment further after reading it.

AngeL BeaR said...

Hi,

I hope you enjoy the book! =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Networked Blogs

This Blog's Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 18 August 2007


This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact gabrielle_sheila@yahoo.com.


This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does contain content which might present a conflict of interest. This content may not always be identified.


To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org