It was still almost the same as it was, except for minor changes here and there but the Sunday Market is still the same. For those who didn't know Tamu is, it's more like a word for 'market' here..so when you think of Tamu, you will get a vision of a large market with lots of people, food, vegetables, poultry and many more things on sale. The Tamu is normally held on Sundays. However, some districts are famous for the weekdays Tamu such as Tamu Tamparuli (Wednesdays), Tamu Donggongon (Thursdays & Fridays).
Owh well...being in the tamu is not bad..there are lots of things you can see, taste and smell. Sometimes you can get it fresh and cheap too. Whenever you free, do feel free to have a stroll at the Tamu nearest to you. =)
This is one kind of seaweed. I was told that it can be eaten raw. Just wash it with lukewarm water and take a small portion of it, dip it in its sauce (Lime juice + shallots + chilies) and pop into your mouth. I haven't tried it before but will surely love to try it if I got the chance.
This is pecal, my all time favorite. However, when I first brought it in Tuaran, I was surprised when I found out that this version of pecal was slightly different from the ones that mom used to brought from the tamu in Tenom when since I was little. The pecal that I used to eat normally consists of boiled vegetables like the kacang panjang (long beans), pucuk ubi (young tapioca leaves), nangka muda (young jackfruit) and taugeh (beansprouts) poured with a generous splash of thick, sweet and spicy peanut gravy and wrap it all up in banana leaf. However, the 'Tuaran version' of pecal was added cooked vermicelli (meehoon), which is not really to my liking. So, I always make sure to visit stalls that only serves made per order pecals so that I can have them omitted the vermicelli from my pecal. ^^
Pickles in jars....this is commonly can be found too. There's bambangan, pickled wild fruit (it was round in shape, and yellow in flesh with a distinctive smell). Tuhau, another wild vegetable that's chopped finely, pickled with vinegar and chilies. Some might find it a turn off though because of it smells that resembles the posisang, a very stinky bug. But if tuhau seems to gross to be smell at, try bosou, preserved fish then put in the jar. For those that didn't really fancy or being picky with your food, you might find this dish unappetizing at all.
Actually, there are lots more photos that I wanted to put here to share with you all...but it might take long long time for you to finish reading it all. Especially to those who never visited Sabah, come here and ask your Sabahan friend to show you around. =)











0 comments:
Post a Comment