My Daily Tweets

Followers

I know I had been neglecting my blog for quite a long time.  Okay, same lame excuse..."I don't know what to write"...plus, I rant more in my Facebook nowadays.  

Anyway, few days ago, a news came up that not only shocked the Sabahans, but angered them as well (including me):


So when some mufti called that Sabah Muslim natives should call themselves 'Malays', I do totally understand why people are upset.  You see, in Sabah and Sarawak, it is normal for us to live as a family with different races and religions.  I had nephews and nieces who is half chinese, half dusun, half indian even...and few others.  There's always a mix here, with a mix there...and it is normal for us to be seen in wedding receptions or parties that there are 2 different buffet counters - one for non-halal food, and the other is halal food, in due respect to our muslim friends and relatives.

In which logic that my sabahan muslim natives should call themselves 'malay' then?  Because of religion?  I beg to differ.  It is possible to change religion, but in no way one can identify themselves as someone they are not.  A Dusun will always born as a Dusun.  A Chinese will always be a Chinese.  A Kadazan will always be a Kadazan, no matter what faith they believed in.  I am a Christian, but does that means I can change my race into a Romanian since I am a Roman Catholic?  

If that is hard for you to understand or differentiate between RACE and RELIGION, take food for example:  there's a piece of beef and chicken. Then the beef and chicken was cooked together in a pot to make a nice rendang.  When being serve, are you able to differentiate between beef and chicken meat in your plate?

Race has nothing to do with religion.  There is no way you can change the root of your bloodline no matter how you change your faith 10 thousand times over, unless you are reborn again in another life.  



So yeah...I am a Dusun Tatana, and 100% Sabahan.  I am a no 'lain-lain' in the form to fill in.  That's my identity and I am proud of it!

5 comments:

Small Kucing said...

Good for you!

Agnes CF Lee said...

I support you fully. Though I am not a bumi, it angers me when I saw this thoughtless comment in the newspaper. We Sabahan do not want all this nonsense.

Just said...

Uikkkss... hi-5!!! Proud to be Dusun Tatana too!! :)

Anonymous said...

oooOW...patutlah cantik:-) Well, I am Geronimo & King Cup;)

Lee said...

Hi AngelBear, its always people like this, or politicians with nothing better to do than try gain political milage, putting things in reverse.
And what better than the race issue.
Pity there's always such people who should know better than stir the pot.
These are people living under that preverbal coconut shell. They don't see further than their noses!
Lee.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Networked Blogs

This Blog's Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 18 August 2007


This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact gabrielle_sheila@yahoo.com.


This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does contain content which might present a conflict of interest. This content may not always be identified.


To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org