My Daily Tweets

Followers

This is a belated post.

As most of you readers knew that last April, I flew to KL then on a road trip to Melaka for a paintball tournament (My-NPL Round 2) held in Dataran Pahlawan, Melaka.

In case you wanted to know what My-NPL stands for.  We currently have 2 major leagues in the country - My-NPL and MPOC (Malaysia Paintball Official Circuit).  Also with other smaller leagues in their own respective states.

One of the 3 fields in Dataran Pahlawan.  So basically, while people are shopping beneath the field or having their meals we spent the weekend running on the field and people shooting around! =)

Anyway, back to the main topic....after the tournament is over, I moved out from our shared apartments with my fellow referees to one of the homestays in Batu Berendam with Badman and his teammates (Kak Fi, the kids and the others) before we went back to KL the next day. 

As usual, we pusing-pusing Melaka lah...went to visit the Christ Church, up to the hill at St. Paul's...clicking here and there and then as I stepped down the stair of the hill, a friendly voice greeted me. "You from Sabah?"  I looked towards the person who spoke to me.  "I saw the flag on your shirt." He said, smiling.  I nodded, "Yes."


"Come here take a look." He welcomed me, pointing at his rows of paintings he had done.  Then, he took out one of his paintings, "I love ants." He said, showing his artwork.  Then showing few others of his work.  I am amazed, really.  Then, he said, "Feel free to take photos.  No worries."  As if sensing me being a little hesitant to take out my camera.  Actually, not so long before I met him, I was scolded by one of the painters at the other side of the old church for taking a photo of him (he should have hang a sign on his neck that reads, NO PHOTO!).  But this elderly man with his laughter and smile really makes my day.

"How long you'll going to stay here?"  he asked in his fluent English.  Told him that me and Badman will be going back to KL that very same day in the evening.  "Why going back so early?" He asked again.  (At that time, I really wish that I could have stay a day more!)  We explained to him that we had been in Melaka for the past few days, that we are coming for a paintball tournament.  "Never mind, next time you come again.  Make sure you bring some water ah, and drive safely!"  Then we realised that everyone who came up to the hill bring at least a bottle of water with them, and we having none at all, and it's a really sunny day!  (Thank you for the kind concern ya...)

Some of the newspaper articles that he kept and placed on the wire fence.  By then I knew, this friendly elderly man is more than just a street artist.  He speaks good English, and seem to be very knowledgeable. 

He's showing another painting that he just finished.  =)

"If you look in youtube, you can search for me.  My name is Francis Goh."

For those who is really familiar with Melaka, you might know him.  The moment I returned to KL, I did some searching and this is what I found (just click on the Youtube links ya):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P228IDdpyao&feature=related

Mr. Goh is a street artist.  He has a website where you can view or purchase his paintings here (take note that all his paintings are one of a kind, he will never produce any of his works twice) :  http://malacca-street-artist.com

The few minutes of conversation with Mr. Goh, makes me really wish I can see him again the next time I visited Melaka.  Yes, one of his paintings is now in my safe keeping:

"A Blue Rock On Black Hill"...the exact one that he just finished the same day.

"This is an original work." don't play-play owh..... ^_^V

The next time I'm in Melaka, I really wish can meet him up again.  I am sure he will have lots of interesting to talk about, especially how Melaka is back then.  To Mr. Francis Goh, you are surely one of a kind.  You really are one of Melaka's treasure.  =)

Yours truly with Mr. Goh.  Photo by Badman.

"I paint not just for the passion of it, but to express my feelings about life;  Art is my window to life." - Francis Goh

3 comments:

Small Kucing said...

nice to have time to walk around there

Unknown said...

You know Angel, one thing i really like about you, you always look for something different,and you know just how to spot one, like this one,,hahahahah.

AngeL BeaR said...

small kucing: you should next time. but make sure mamarazi is fit enough ah...hehehe

Eugene: I just 'drawn' into him, I guess. hehehhe...it's nice to learn of a place's history from the ones who lived there all their lives. Might be fun to listen too! =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Networked Blogs

This Blog's Disclosure Policy

This policy is valid from 18 August 2007


This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact gabrielle_sheila@yahoo.com.


This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does contain content which might present a conflict of interest. This content may not always be identified.


To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org