Since the family love it so much, I actually had tried to make a batch last week and produced a jar of kimchi, it wasn't up to my expectations but my aunt said it's just nice (but I still don't think so!). Since now it's already gone down to half jar left (my godness, I think I need a tajau suda ni!) so I decided to make some more. Afterall, buying kimchi from the stores are kinda costly and when I searched for its recipe in the internet, all it needs are just some little work and patience, then you can have your very own kimchi in the kitchen! So, here's my own version of kimchi, to suit the 'sabahan' taste a bit.
Half cup of salt, chili powder, garlic and fish sauce (3-5 tablespoons).
Note: I am using rock sea salt here, so it's very salty and the fish sauce too was salty. If you don't have fish sauce, it's okay. You can replace it with another 1/4 cup of salt. If you are using fine salt, you need at least please add another 1/2 cup from the above measurements. As for garlic, you may also add ginger if you like. But I prefer garlic more so I didn't put ginger this time. There are no specific measurements how much garlic or ginger needed, you may put as much as you like.
Clean and cut the chinese cabbages, also in about 2 inches size. I prefer to leave the leafy part bigger than the stem. No worries about the size now as it will get smaller during the fermentation period.
Mix cabbage and radish in a basin or big bowl. Put salt in (leaving only about 3-4 tablespoons for later use) and toss it with your hands as you would do with making salads. Gently squeeze it while mixing with the salt. After every bit of the vegetable seemed to be coated with salt, pour some water and let it sit for about an hour.
Garlic chopped. I love it this way, but you can leave it whole cloves with only the skin peeled off if you don't like to have bits of garlic in every bite. Up to you lah....
Mix it all with some water to make a fine paste (not too thick or too watery). You may taste it and just add more salt, chilli power, garlic according to your taste.
Tada!!! This is how it looks like when it's done and ready to eat! Well, actually this one's is from my 1st batch...it doesn't look nice though..hehehehe....amatur baa....
Kimchi is good as an additional flavor to the soup (especially fish), or just simply serve it cold as a side dish for your meal, or you can make kimchi fried rice!
Have a nice day everyone! =)











13 comments:
wow. yummy! i must learn too!
ps you're invited to comment on my post too =)
so now u r a kimchi bear la, eh..? on the way becoming kimchi angel... hehehe ;-p
hahaha macam cara2 buat 'bosou' jugakan Angel.tapi yg i lum pernah lala makan...i must try...memang yummy!!!! lapar suda ni....
SJ: u shud try! =)
badman: U wanna be badman kimchi also can hahahaha....
lala: lebih kurang la..masam2 ba ni...usually urang yg suka makan bosou atau tuhau, bambangan mmg pandai suka ni.
oi jan kasi habis sia mau :<
OMG! u did it wif local ingredients.. :) while i was browsing down..i tot u wil try d typical korean chilli powder =) anyway, i will try to make this weekend! jgn kasi lama!!!! :)
bubbleberry: baru bikin mcm mana buli abis oo...lepas 3 hari baru buli makan lar....
karmen: tu la ingredients dia mmg senang cari...cuma mo rajin buat kerja only..hahahaa
waaa.
good effort bah sis.
buat lae. sure jadi. ^^
sharon: hahhaah sis...thanks. this is my 2nd attempt suda..hopefully better than last time..kalau suda ok bagus sa pasarkan ni mcm? ahahhahahaa
practice make perfect bah.. :)
Great post, thanks for sharing
nice!
I love your work
Angel Bear ..
I think, for this you do not know how to cook?
Korean cuisine also seems .before I've eaten food instead of cooking the way japan, it's really cute.
Sometimes I also really want to taste the food rather than Korean and Japan,better Angel a later founded the diner
thank u Timadang..hahaha...i am just not really confident at my culinary skills..hehehe... =)
Post a Comment